Sunday, July 31, 2005

Serendipitious Saturday

Kevin Broadwick, an old friend from high school who lives in Austin, got in touch with earlier in the week to see if I wanted to buy back an old dresser I'd sold him years ago, when I was renting a condo from him on 35th and Speedway. He's moving to Seattle with his fiancee, so he's also selling all his rental properties in Austin, including my old rental. The dresser was in one of his properties where he was living temporarily.

I'm not sure WHY I ever sold him the dresser, except that I must have needed the money at the time. I picked it up in college from an antique furniture restoration shop, called "The Phoenix", where I worked for about 2 years for Dan Phillips, who was also one of my professors and a true renaissance man. It has alot of sentimental value for me. There are even some signs of my old work (bondo) on the inside of some of the drawers. It needs some further restoration but its in good enough shape to use.

There is a bunch of change trapped in the back of the dresser. When Kevin helped me load it into my car, pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters started falling all over the ground. Since it was now my dresser, Kevin said I could keep the change :) So far, it has released about $1, with alot more trapped inside. I have to remove the back in order to get the rest out, though, and I'm far too lazy for that. So the change will remain trapped in the chest-of-drawers for now, almost like a huge piggy-bank. Or a very small savings account :)

After bringing the dresser home, we ate at Chuy's for my once-a-week feeding frenzy, where I allow myself guilt-free gorging on any foods I fancy. I ate like it was the end of the world: 2 baskets of chips and an entire plate of sizzling beef fajitas. It was the first time I'd eaten red meat in the past 8 to 10 weeks, and I was craving it like a caveman. Maybe I had some iron deficiency going on and this was my body's way of telling my brain.

Faris also turned 3 months yesterday.





No comments: