Monday, August 08, 2005

Birthday in Cancun

The Yucatan Peninsula is a beautiful place - tropical weather, palm trees, turquoise-colored water, white sand beaches, and miles of flourishing coral reefs. Its only a 2 hour flight from Austin to Cancun. We flew out of Austin at 9:00 A.M., landed in Cancun at around 11:00 A.M., ate a quick lunch, and were on the beach by 1:00 P.M.

Nada and I took a 4-day weekend (Thursday to Sunday) to celebrate my 34th birthday. Nada's parents stayed at our house to take care of Faris, although I wish we could have taken him with us. When he's old enough to remember the trip, we're definitely going back. Maybe not to the touristy Cancun, but some other secluded spot, like Tulum or Akumal. Having been born and raised on an island (albeit in the Gulf of Mexico), I love being on or near the ocean more than any other place. So it was definitely a power-charger for me to sit on a seashore, 4 days straight.

More pics and details to follow. In the meantime, here are some tidbits.

The view from our room on the 9th floor, looking North.



The view from our room, looking South.



The view from the elevator outside our room.



The beach was always calm early in the morning.



Then later became a haven for parasailing, swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, jet-skiing, fishing, sailing, and yachting.





That sailboat is owned by an American man who's been living in Cancun for 14 years. I supposed he's retired. A 1.5 hour tour on his boat costs $55 per person. Not bad considering jet-skis go for $50 for 30 minutes. And just around the coast to the North (left of the picture) are several huge, beautiful houses with 40-foot yachts. Not a bad way to live. Maybe one day, if I start saving this instant, I can buy a small hut or lean-to right on the water...

No comments: