Many crashes on Saturday as the Pro-1-2 race (my race) kept catching and lapping other races (Women Category 4). The feed zone AND parking were along the Start/Finish line. It was probably the most dangerous race I've done outside of Mexico. The speed was so high, and there were people in the road, backing their cars into the road, warming up for races, taking photos, etc, that I'm surprised no one was killed. Although an ambulance did take 1 unlucky person to hospital.
But what a rush. 130 racers, single file, on a closed-off course on a sinuous road with 90 degree corners and absolutely perfect 80 degree weather. I can still smell the burning rubber of brake pads on carbon rims as we approached the 2 90 degree turns and everyone grabbed 2 handfuls of brake. Ahhhh... the squealing noises, too.
Congrats to team Orven on winning both days. You guys ride like you are straight out of Mexico (which you are, of course), but at least you back it up with strong riding. I just wish you weren't so dangerous when riding in a pack at high speed and actually considered the personal safety of yourselves and fellow racers. I won't miss you when you go back to Monterrey and take your terrible pack riding with you, or the way your team attacks when the race is neutralized (classy) as we catch and pass another category pack. But I will miss having a strong, aggressive team keeping the speed high at all times.

Top 10 results. (about 130 starters, give or take). 2 crashes eliminated many riders, as there was no catching back on b/c the speed was so high.
1 Gonzales Domingo ORVEN
2 Boyd Alex MIdwestern State University
3 Wikoff Philip Bicycle Sport Shop
4 Yaquera Cesar ORVEN
5 Tilford Steve HRRC/Trek Stores
6 Rothstein Marcel ORVEN
7 Ibarra Edgar Sugar Cycles
8 Jensen Brian Successful Living
9 Burandt Travis CRCA/Sakonnet Technology U25
10 Henry Scott ATT Brain and Spine

No comments:
Post a Comment