Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lunch Ride

I did a mountain bike ride at lunch on a trail near my office - 1.28 miles from my office, to be exact.

The Austin area forecast for today is scattered thunderstorms. My office windows were wet when I got to work, but the roads were dry - signs of passing rain showers. There were ominous looking storm clouds looming overhead as I left the office to ride, though, and I thought surely it would start raining the instant I made it to the trail. But the trail is almost totally tree-covered, which would keep me dry except in the case of a sustained, heavy downpour. And in the event of lightning and/or a deluge, I would only have to ride ~5 minutes to get indoors.

So off I went thinking I had a 50/50 chance of staying dry. I don't mind riding road bikes in the rain. But riding across jagged, slippery rocks on the edge of small cliffs is something else. Not to mention that its bad trail etiquette due to the greater erosion caused by riding on wet, muddy trails.

It didn't rain, but the humidity must have been 99.9%. When I got back to the office after only 1 hour of riding, my boss asked me if I went swimming.

Slinky

Slinky

No comments: