Sunday, January 13, 2008

Weekend Wrap-Up

Saturday was the usual: a 3.5 hour bike ride at the crack of dawn on the hilliest roads I could find. Nada's parents came up from Houston to see Faris and spend the night. 2 of my 4 football playoff picks won (Green Bay and New England). We ordered take-out pizza, drank a little wine, and relaxed in front of the TV.

Sunday was the usual: a 3 hour ride at the crack of dawn with 15-20 members of my cycling team. It is a "social" ride, meaning low-speed, but 2 sprints along the route made it a little more fun. Nada's parents drove back to Houston after lunch. 2 of my 4 football playoff picks lost (Indianapolis and Dallas). During the Indy vs. San Diego game, I took Faris to the neighborhood park for about an hour. It was a BEAUTIFUL day and I felt bad about laying on the couch watching football, even though I'd just burned 2,000 calories on the bike ride. Besides, I wanted Faris to get outside and play, and promised him we'd go.

Monkey on a Slide in Neighborhood Park

He tells me "I want a big one" when he wants to be pushed higher on the swing.

Swing in Neighborhood Park

Swing in Neighborhood Park

Swing in Neighborhood Park

For dinner tonight, we ate "weigh-so" (your own body weight in queso), and washed it down with an ice cold Corona. The Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Giants game was on, and I felt like it was my duty - no, my RIGHT - as a Texan to eat an entire block melted cheese with chips while watching America's team flunk the playoff test.

Even though I went 2-2 this weekend in NFL playoff picks, I'm leading my NFL Playoff Survivor pool at work. The only way I can lose is if New England and Green Bay both lose this weekend, which isn't going to happen. So I'll win $60 after putting up $5. Not too shabby when coupled with the 2 lunches I've already won off regular season bets this year, which makes me undefeated in my office for the 2007 NFL season. I hate to gloat, but it's lonely at the top.

No comments: