Thursday, January 03, 2008

More of the Mundane

It was dark and 40 degrees when I got home from work. I opted to train indoors over suiting up and strapping on lights for a short, 1 hour ride in the dark. Something must be wrong with me this year b/c I actually don't mind riding the trainer. I daresay I PREFER the damned thing sometimes, b/c I can get in a very specific, controlled type of workout that would be more difficult outside due to wind and hills. And with the abbreviated daylight hours of the winter months, in many cases, it isn't worth the extra time it takes to mount lights to the bike and put on all that cold weather clothing (booties, base layers, etc) for a 1 hour ride.

My workout was a couple of over-geared "climbing repeats" at 50-55 RPM with a low heart rate, followed by a couple of 10 minute efforts at a moderate heart rate, changing cadence every minute from 60-65 RPM to 90-95 RPM. The purpose is to mimic what happens on a climb/long hill when you have to change your cadence while keeping your effort/rhythm the same.

Note the brief drop-off at around 40 minutes when I jumped off the bike and ran inside the house for my inhaler. Even in the garage, I was wheezing b/c of slightly chilly air. Asthma is soooooooooo annoying.

Power Tap Screenshot for Jan. 3, 2008

No comments: