Monday, November 20, 2006

Weekend Wrap-up

Friday night we saw The Deftones at the Austin Music Hall with Jeff and Carlton. Of the 3 live Deftones shows I've seen, this was the worst, even though it was by all means a good performance - it's just that the other 2 shows were better. The bass was too loud and the singer's microphone and guitar weren't loud enough. They didn't play the best song, "Combat", off the new album. There were too many drunk, obnoxious teenagers in the audience, who sang aloud and rubbed their sweaty bodies against you as they stumbled by in a drunken stupor.

Saturday night we ordered Indian take-out and relaxed at the house, still sleepy and recovering from Friday night's concert.

Sunday night we attended the inaugural gala for the Austin Children's Shelter. It was an elegant black-tie event at the Four Seasons Hotel featuring live and silent auctions. Nada's company is a media sponsor of the shelter. So the shelter allocated 10, $500 seats for the SicolaMartin team which handles the shelter's account. There was a spare seat at the table so I was able to go along. I had to buy a new set of onyx cufflinks and studs since I apparently lost these items when I last wore my tuxedo to Carlos Tames' wedding in Nicaragua. The spare stud I had came in handy when Tom Sicola showed up with a broken button at the top of his tuxedo shirt.

I bid on a silent auction item (6 month Pure Austin Gym membership) but didn't win.

No comments: