Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Traffic Fatality

Someone died yesterday in a fatal traffic accident at the intersection of 2222 and Jester, which is about 1 mile from my office. I pass the spot each day on my way to work. The wreck caused havoc with traffic lines as 2222 shut down for the life-flight helicopter, forcing commuters like me were forced to find alternate routes into the city frm the suburbs NW and West of Austin.

A silver Mercedes changed lanes, into a red Honda Prelude. The Honda swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid the Mercedes, and hit a truck head-on. The driver of the Honda died at the scene. The silver Mercedes didn't stop. Typical. I'm sure he/she was on the cell phone, too. Or fiddling with their PDA. Put down the damned electronic devices and DRIVE YOUR CAR, for Christ's sake. At least have the courtesy to stay at the scene of the accident you caused.

I'm opposed to the death penalty, but I'd change my opinion for the driver of the Mercedes. When did people lose their basic compassion for fellow human beings? Is it so important to be in the board room on time that you can't stop your car after causing a fatal accident? I refuse to believe the driver of the Mercedes was oblivious to the accident. 2 cars collide head-on going 60 mph each, 1 of which was in the lane NEXT to you, and you DON'T HEAR OR SEE the crash?! C'mon...

I had a strange feeling on the way home, passing the spot where someone was killed a few hours earlier.

No comments: