
Photos by Patrick Crouch
I absolutely FLUNKED the swim but had an "A" bike and a "B-" or perhaps "C+" run. All of the fast local tri geeks from Austin were in Galveston for the bigger, more prestigious Half-Ironman event. I'd originally planned on doing the Olympic distance race in Galveston (where I was born and raised), but opted for the smaller, easier, closer-to-home event to test my early season fitness and try to win a race for once. It didn't happen.
My bike split was comparable (perhaps slightly better than) the fast local guys' bike splits on this same course last year, which lets me know I just need to somehow swim alot faster and run a little faster to be able compete with them for the top placings.
All in all I was pleased with my race except for the horrendous swim and being beaten by a 53 year old in a speedo. Apparently he is an ex-big shot from Canada. Never judge your opponents by their size/appearance. He looked as fruity as they come but he sure could go fast on a bicycle. Although I rode about as hard as I could to catch him, he became a steadily shrinking figure on the horizon as I chased him around the bike course.
Results

No comments:
Post a Comment