Monday, July 28, 2008

Houston

We spent the weekend in Houston with Nada's parents. Serious circumstances have required more frequent travel there recently.

I was able to pre-ride next weekends 40k State Time Trial Championship course in Pattison, TX. What can I say? It is a totally flat, straight road. You go out 12.5 miles, u-turn, and ride back to the finish. HOWLING crosswind the whole time. I warmed up on the way out and did a 20 minute time trial on the way back. The wind WILL be a factor. Unfortunately, the course itself will not be (no turns, hills, etc).

At the same time, that is something I really like about Houston. If you want to find a place to go out and do a 30 minute or 60 minute time trial effort (useful for doing tests with a power meter), on a flat, straight road with little traffic, then take your pick of ump-teen different places. Try doing that in Austin and you'll likely find yourself in a car driving for 30 to 45 minutes, and even then you'll end up on some road which required you to make at least 1 u-turn in order to get in 20 minutes of effort.

We saw "The Dark Knight" and it was one of the best movies I've seen in the past 3-4 years. TONS of violence, darkness, death, mania, explosions, and convoluted sub-plots kept me fully entertained the full 2.5 hours. Heath Ledger is truly amazing as The Joker and really puts Jack Nicholson's Joker characterization to shame. Easy for me to say b/c I hate Jack Nicholson - but its true, they don't even compare. Nicholson's characterization of The Joker was more comical. Ledger's Joker is a true psychopath, savoring the moments before taking someone's life. He definitely deserves an Oscar for his performance, even it if is posthumous.

I couldn't get enough of The Joker's character and didn't want the movie to end, even after 150 minutes. I'd see it in the theater again. I'd recommend IMAX, though. We narrowly missed out on getting the last IMAX seats available, so we settled for the "ordinary" screen. I can only imagine how amazing the movie's settings will be in an IMAX theater.

No comments: