We spent Christmas day doing the usual - opening presents, playing board games, and watching football (American style AND English style). Faris got a really cool little play tent in addition to most of the items on his list.
The day after Christmas (or "Boxing Day" as it is known in the British Commonwealth), we ate lunch in Montrose at Niko Niko's on the way to one of my favorite spots in Houston, the Museum of Natural Science, for the "Lizards & Snakes: Alive" exhibit. I tried taking photos of Faris in front of the dinosaur skeletons, but the lighting was bad and they didn't turn out well.
Later that evening, Nada, Zena, and I met up with my old college friend, John, who always makes the trip across the pond at this time of year to see his parents. We ate dinner at Mi Luna, a tapas bar in Rice Village, then walked over to the The Ginger Man pub for a few drinks. It was cold out, and there were no seats available inside the bar, so we left Ginger Man and headed over to McGonigel's Mucky Duck for warm, indoor seating, and free drinks courtesy of Shane. McGonigel's is an Irish pub, and I've always wanted to go to Ireland...until I heard the Irish "band" playing at this bar. I was also sorely disappointed by the total absence of any Leprechauns, although John assured me that Leprechauns are abundant in Ireland. He says you usually "see" them on the way home from the pub at 3:00 a.m. after drinking several pints - they like to dart into the road in front of your car and disappear into the bushes.
Photos are here.
Dinosaur Skeletons

The Ginger Man

Mi Luna

No comments:
Post a Comment